Shin Gaming Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the open-minded gamers, who wish share their love for gaming. For gamers, who prefer fun over hate and prejudice. For those who like to discuss rather than argue. This is the new generation of gaming! Shin Gaming!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wi-Fi with DS

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rai-kun
Admin
Rai-kun

Wi-Fi with DS Empty
PostSubject: Wi-Fi with DS   Wi-Fi with DS EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 4:05 pm

So, I really need to ask peoples opinion of this.

I haven't been able to play DS online with my friends, since I have been uable to connect my DS to the internet. Now I know that my web security must be set to WEP. I have WPA. And I know, how to do this.

But the problem is...most internet forums and help pages I've checked state that WEP is very weak security and easy to break. So I'd like to ask, is it worth to take the chance? To trade security for online gaming option? I'd like to have opinions of people, who know these things better than me =)

And since the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector has been discontinued, I think my options are running short n.n;
Back to top Go down
Mackilla

Mackilla

Wi-Fi with DS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi-Fi with DS   Wi-Fi with DS EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 9:32 pm

Don't judge on my opinion, but Wi-Fi in my house is a BITCH.

For some reason the wi-fi is only available for apple products, not nintendo.
Back to top Go down
http://www.archivumsecretum.org/macksgamearcana/
BillyTheCat128

BillyTheCat128

Wi-Fi with DS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi-Fi with DS   Wi-Fi with DS EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Rai-kun wrote:
So, I really need to ask peoples opinion of this.

I haven't been able to play DS online with my friends, since I have been uable to connect my DS to the internet. Now I know that my web security must be set to WEP. I have WPA. And I know, how to do this.

But the problem is...most internet forums and help pages I've checked state that WEP is very weak security and easy to break. So I'd like to ask, is it worth to take the chance? To trade security for online gaming option? I'd like to have opinions of people, who know these things better than me =)

And since the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector has been discontinued, I think my options are running short n.n;

I myself used WEP all the time and 'never' had any problems.
reason2: If you're playing on a handheld it will most likely not get hacked, unless someone lives close to you, has a grudge against you 'and' wants to go through the trouble to hack your handheld (which I highly doubt!) =3
reason3: If the security is really 'that' bad then I don't think Nintendo would've supported it in the first place.
So anyway, go nuts! ;-)
Back to top Go down
http://billythecat128.deviantart.com
Rai-kun
Admin
Rai-kun

Wi-Fi with DS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi-Fi with DS   Wi-Fi with DS EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 2:36 pm

BillyTheCat128 wrote:

I myself used WEP all the time and 'never' had any problems.
reason2: If you're playing on a handheld it will most likely not get hacked, unless someone lives close to you, has a grudge against you 'and' wants to go through the trouble to hack your handheld (which I highly doubt!) =3
reason3: If the security is really 'that' bad then I don't think Nintendo would've supported it in the first place.
So anyway, go nuts! ;-)

I wasn't worried of my DS's security, but rather my computers. There you don't need to have grudge against someone for him to try to break in and use your network without permission X3 Since changing to WEP also affects my computer's network (naturally, since they'd use the same network)
Back to top Go down
ndoto

ndoto

Wi-Fi with DS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi-Fi with DS   Wi-Fi with DS EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 10:41 pm

I haven't had any problem using WEP, personally, but if you're concerned about the loss of security/stability of a wireless network connection by switching to WEP, might I suggest looking into buying a cheap second wireless router? If you can nab one, you can configure the second router to use WEP while leaving your primary router as WPA/WPA2, and then just use a short ethernet cable to hook the cheap router into your main one. This way, you can have your computers and other game consoles still hooked up to the WPA/WPA2 network, while using the completely separate WEP network only for the Nintendo DS. This is pretty much the solution that I'm using at the moment, anyways. Smile

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/ndoto
Rai-kun
Admin
Rai-kun

Wi-Fi with DS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi-Fi with DS   Wi-Fi with DS EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 12:27 am

ndoto wrote:
I haven't had any problem using WEP, personally, but if you're concerned about the loss of security/stability of a wireless network connection by switching to WEP, might I suggest looking into buying a cheap second wireless router? If you can nab one, you can configure the second router to use WEP while leaving your primary router as WPA/WPA2, and then just use a short ethernet cable to hook the cheap router into your main one. This way, you can have your computers and other game consoles still hooked up to the WPA/WPA2 network, while using the completely separate WEP network only for the Nintendo DS. This is pretty much the solution that I'm using at the moment, anyways. Smile

Hope this helps!

Ah yes, another friend also mentioned this and I think it sounds the best solution, so I think I will try it :3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wi-Fi with DS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wi-Fi with DS   Wi-Fi with DS Empty

Back to top Go down

Wi-Fi with DS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shin Gaming Forum :: Shin Gaming :: Nintendo :: Nintendo DS-
Jump to: