Shin Gaming Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the open-minded gamers, who wish share their love for gaming. For gamers, who prefer fun over hate and prejudice. For those who like to discuss rather than argue. This is the new generation of gaming! Shin Gaming!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

?????LFG!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Masqued ferret

Masqued ferret

?????LFG!! Empty
PostSubject: ?????LFG!!   ?????LFG!! EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 12:54 am

sorry bout the cheeseyness involved in my title but hey I figured why not?

Well I guess this is sort of like an intro thread, but for the character types you tend to favor...and to discuss possible ways to you know maybe improve in a certain aspect...

here best way to tell is to show.

I play a lot, I mean a LOT of rogues, and well with me making my homebrew race that is tiny sized, so I tend to favor skills over combat for obvious reasons, but I seem to have an odd skill palate let's say. I always give my rogue perform flute, personal thing really, a tribute to the character that made me want to play rogues, I tend to favor tumble climb and jump more then usual, with the standards that are disable device and open lock...hide is also welcome. I'm more then happy with my skills, but I want to know if you have any suggestions as to how to make him a bit more capable with dealing damage, he has good enough ac for me 17-18 without armor.
Back to top Go down
Mackilla

Mackilla

?????LFG!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ?????LFG!!   ?????LFG!! EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 3:00 am

Sorry but...

WHAT THE F<honk>K ARE YOU SAYING?
what are you talking about?
Back to top Go down
http://www.archivumsecretum.org/macksgamearcana/
ndoto

ndoto

?????LFG!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ?????LFG!!   ?????LFG!! EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 5:03 pm

He's just asking about what types of tabletop characters people generally lean toward creating! Very Happy

I have a couple that I tend to fall back on, mostly either:

1) the curious bard, who (although not built very well for direct combat and can have a tendency to be a tad whiny) does his best to keep the group's morale high and to keep the group from killing each other - generally I build him up to be a true support class, and preferably one with high Dex to go along with his Charisma, with a lot of skills and feats focused on diplomacy and deftly avoiding enemy's blows, or...

2) the arrogant (but still infuriatingly charming) rogue, who has a tendency to stick his fingers where they don't belong and isn't afraid to do what he needs to do to look out for himself. Generally not a bad person, but definitely chaotic neutral. Most of his skills and feats go into anything that will allow him to move stealthily, backstab his enemies, and steal anything that's not bolted down.

I also really enjoy playing d20 Modern, which has a bit of a different class system which is a lot more fluid - instead of picking a true "class", you end up picking more of a character archetype or outline - "Tough Hero", "Fast Hero", etc. In d20 Modern I tend to end up playing the Smart Hero, and generally end up being the intel/hacker/support guy who handles any technology that needs wranglin'. XD
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/ndoto
Mackilla

Mackilla

?????LFG!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ?????LFG!!   ?????LFG!! EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 3:01 am

ndoto wrote:
He's just asking about what types of tabletop characters people generally lean toward creating! Very Happy

I have a couple that I tend to fall back on, mostly either:

1) the curious bard, who (although not built very well for direct combat and can have a tendency to be a tad whiny) does his best to keep the group's morale high and to keep the group from killing each other - generally I build him up to be a true support class, and preferably one with high Dex to go along with his Charisma, with a lot of skills and feats focused on diplomacy and deftly avoiding enemy's blows, or...

2) the arrogant (but still infuriatingly charming) rogue, who has a tendency to stick his fingers where they don't belong and isn't afraid to do what he needs to do to look out for himself. Generally not a bad person, but definitely chaotic neutral. Most of his skills and feats go into anything that will allow him to move stealthily, backstab his enemies, and steal anything that's not bolted down.

I also really enjoy playing d20 Modern, which has a bit of a different class system which is a lot more fluid - instead of picking a true "class", you end up picking more of a character archetype or outline - "Tough Hero", "Fast Hero", etc. In d20 Modern I tend to end up playing the Smart Hero, and generally end up being the intel/hacker/support guy who handles any technology that needs wranglin'. XD

Oh, well I'm more of a thief/ranger person.

Bards are almost useless. They prove it in The Gamers: Dorkness Rising.
Back to top Go down
Masqued ferret

Masqued ferret

?????LFG!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ?????LFG!!   ?????LFG!! EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 3:43 am

I know I even said that we should try not to get too big on the arguing, but I have to disagree with bards being almost useless, in my most recent session 2 days ago, my life was saved by the bard.

d20 modern...never really tried it, but I'd probably make a revolver favoring, gunslinger type, dunno bout fast strong, or smart hero. possibly more along the lines of crafty, or sly.
Back to top Go down
Mackilla

Mackilla

?????LFG!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ?????LFG!!   ?????LFG!! EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Masqued ferret wrote:
I know I even said that we should try not to get too big on the arguing, but I have to disagree with bards being almost useless, in my most recent session 2 days ago, my life was saved by the bard.

d20 modern...never really tried it, but I'd probably make a revolver favoring, gunslinger type, dunno bout fast strong, or smart hero. possibly more along the lines of crafty, or sly.

Really? Most people find the bard useless because it only plays music to calm people down or something...
Back to top Go down
Rai-kun
Admin
Rai-kun

?????LFG!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ?????LFG!!   ?????LFG!! EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 8:44 pm

Bard is actually a very verstalie and flexible class, yet not many people seem to see it. It just needs some looking into.

Basically he is the supporter of your group and he has lots of good sides. Note thought that this comparision applies only among the basic classes in Player's Handbook.
He is an arcane spellcaster with the combat effectiveness better than otherspellcasters of the same type.
Unlike IE. wizards and sorcerers, he has a wide arrange of weapons, he can use light armor without it interfering his spellcasting, he has decent Base Attack Bonus for a spellcaster. He has decent amount of hp and a wide range of skills to choose.
And of course, he has his bardic knowledge and music abilities.

So Bard is not useless at all Smile You just need to know, how to play one.

As for me, like I once said to some of you, I am mostly the DM, but when I make my own character, I usually choose a spellcaster for they have wide repertoaire of things to choose from during any kind of situation Smile
Back to top Go down
Mackilla

Mackilla

?????LFG!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ?????LFG!!   ?????LFG!! EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 9:41 pm

That's it -_- I have to get the game again. (I was really young when I first played D&D, and a dice fanatic. I lost all the dice.)
Back to top Go down
Masqued ferret

Masqued ferret

?????LFG!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ?????LFG!!   ?????LFG!! EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 5:25 pm

heh well then you will be welcomed back, muahaha, ahem ignore the evil laughter no one is plotting on stealing your soul, least of all this tiny neutral good thief. heh dice, I found somewhere that has D3s for sale, I need to buy one! ahem yeah. ahem, Random post but yeah I'm like that I guess. hmmm...I wonder, maybe some strategic items would be helpful for my tiny race, bag of holding being a must.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

?????LFG!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ?????LFG!!   ?????LFG!! Empty

Back to top Go down

?????LFG!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shin Gaming Forum :: Other :: Board Games :: Table RPGs-
Jump to: