Shin Gaming Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the open-minded gamers, who wish share their love for gaming. For gamers, who prefer fun over hate and prejudice. For those who like to discuss rather than argue. This is the new generation of gaming! Shin Gaming!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Any Emulator freaks out there? =3

Go down 
+4
ndoto
rpgfurry
Rai-kun
BillyTheCat128
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BillyTheCat128

BillyTheCat128

Any Emulator freaks out there? =3 Empty
PostSubject: Any Emulator freaks out there? =3   Any Emulator freaks out there? =3 EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 11:16 pm

And when I'm talking about Emulators, I am talking about programs that make you able to play Console games on your PC, Wii, PSP and etc.! X3

Moreover, over the past few years these little programs enabled us to play Super Mario World or Zelda: A Link to the past when we were too lazy to hook up the actual SNES or other consoles or because we didn't have them but still wanted to play the games! ;P
In this time there were a 'lot' of emulators, sometimes there are so many Emulators for just one console that it can probably make your head spin! ;-)

So that's why I thought it would be a nice idea to post everyone's favourite emulators.
I'll start with mine: ^_^

PC Emulators:
-NES: Nestopia

-SNES: Zsnes

-Sega Cd\genesis\32x: WGens

-PlayStation: PCSX (Version:1.5)

-N64: Project64

-Dreamcast: NullDC (Version: 1.6)

-Wii\Gamecube: Dolphin

-Playstation2: PCSX2wx (version:0.9.7 SVN:r2819)

-GBA: Visualboy advance

-DS+GBA: No$GBA

Wii Emulators
-NES: FCE Ultra GX

-SNES: Snes9X GX

-N64: Wii64

-GBA: Visualboy Advance GX

PSP Emulators
-NES: FCE Ultra

-SNES: Snes9X (The best one out there imo.)

-N64: Daedalusx64 (still slow and partially incompatible, but getting steadier with each release)

-GBA: Visualboy Advance (plays almost all GBA games)

My favourite Emulator
-PCSX2.
Because it enables me to Play Kingdom Hearts 2 final mix+ and Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories on my PC with full-speed (most of the time, unless there are very detailed scenes offcourse) and it plays all other PS2 games directly from any DVD player as well. =3
(Which means, if you own the actual PS2 disc, you can insert it into your pc and PCSX2 will read it.)
Though, not all games are 100% compatible, so check if your game is playable in their 'compatibility' section. (please note the version numbers, since a game that doesn't work or works a little on 0.9.6, will definitly work (or work better) on 0.9.7, just in case I should point this out! ^^)
Also, try the SVN versions (development-in-progress versions) because in most cases they are more faster and compatible.

I've had a lot of fun with this emulator and I'm looking foreward to every new release! X3

Now name yours! =3

NOTES
*Please note that some emulators require BIOS roms in order to play games.
**Some Emulators also require heavy configuring in order to be Emulation-ready.
***Most Emulators require advanced users. (aka. you should know what you are doing)
****Consoles aren't normally meant to play or run emulators so they require to be patched or otherwise 'cracked' (either through a chip or by going past the security checks) in order to run the software at hand and is in 'all-cases' illegal 'and' will take away any guarantee that was on the product. So be very carefull. Unprofessional or otherwise incompetent use can 'break' your system. (which means it doesn't start-up if anything goes wrong. PC Emulators are the 'safest' out there, in the sense that 'not-much' can go wrong.)
Back to top Go down
http://billythecat128.deviantart.com
Rai-kun
Admin
Rai-kun

PostSubject: Re: Any Emulator freaks out there? =3   Any Emulator freaks out there? =3 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 12:14 am

Yush, I play emulator games, though I am too lazy to actually list mine X3

I mostly play retro concole games with them, since I never owned any gaming system before PS1, so it gives me access to games I "missed" that time :3

I have PS1 emulator (ePSXe), but I only have few, chosen games for it, like Castlevania, Symphony of the Night.
Back to top Go down
rpgfurry

PostSubject: Re: Any Emulator freaks out there? =3   Any Emulator freaks out there? =3 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 12:32 am

Emulators Very Happy

Emulators I have are:
NES- VirtuaNES
SNES- ZSNES
N64- Project 64

I mostly use ZSNES since some of my favorite retro games are on the Super Nintendo.
Back to top Go down
BillyTheCat128

BillyTheCat128

PostSubject: Re: Any Emulator freaks out there? =3   Any Emulator freaks out there? =3 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 12:03 am

Rai-kun wrote:
Yush, I play emulator games, though I am too lazy to actually list mine X3

I mostly play retro concole games with them, since I never owned any gaming system before PS1, so it gives me access to games I "missed" that time :3

I have PS1 emulator (ePSXe), but I only have few, chosen games for it, like Castlevania, Symphony of the Night.

I usually play games that I either didn't have or because they are japan\usa only games! X3
Or because I want to play them on a console they weren't meant for! =P

ePSXe is also a great emulator in my opinion, it accepts most Plugins from other emu's and it works like a charm on every machine! =3
Back to top Go down
ndoto

ndoto

PostSubject: Re: Any Emulator freaks out there? =3   Any Emulator freaks out there? =3 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 6:07 pm

This is an awesome thread! I've used emulators to play some of the old games that I don't want to dig out of my closet, but I've pretty much stuck with the same ones for ages just because they were the only ones I knew, haha!

Seeing all these options posted really makes me want to look into trying them out! The ones I've always used have been:

-NES: NesterJ
-SNES: ZSNES
-GBA: Visual Boy Advance
-Sega Genesis: I don't even remember what I used to use for this Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/ndoto
LittleCharmander

LittleCharmander

PostSubject: Re: Any Emulator freaks out there? =3   Any Emulator freaks out there? =3 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:46 pm

In all honesty, I don't endorse the use of emulators or roms unless one already owns the games in question. There are all sorts of justification stories told to me about it, but it all boils down to the same thing.

That being said, I do enjoy using emulators as a form of backup for older games that I own that for some reason or other may stop working. But there's nothing like playing the games on the consoles they were meant to be played on or actually paying for said games. But that's just me.

Last edited by LittleCharmander on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://littlecharmander.deviantart.com/
Rai-kun
Admin
Rai-kun

PostSubject: Re: Any Emulator freaks out there? =3   Any Emulator freaks out there? =3 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 2:23 am

Well, everyone has his right to opinion in this forum <:3

As long as it doesn't directly bash anyone n.n
Back to top Go down
LittleCharmander

LittleCharmander

PostSubject: Re: Any Emulator freaks out there? =3   Any Emulator freaks out there? =3 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 2:35 am

Yeah, and of course I have used emulators before when it was a game I couldn't obtain any other way. But as soon as I had the option of getting the game legitimately, I discontinued use of the rom. ^^

But anyways, that's all I have to say on the matter. ^^;
Back to top Go down
BillyTheCat128

BillyTheCat128

PostSubject: Re: Any Emulator freaks out there? =3   Any Emulator freaks out there? =3 EmptyMon May 03, 2010 10:03 pm

LittleCharmander wrote:
Yeah, and of course I have used emulators before when it was a game I couldn't obtain any other way. But as soon as I had the option of getting the game legitimately, I discontinued use of the rom. ^^

Don't worry LittleCharmander! =3
Even though I cracked both my PSP and Wii, I still legally buy my games in the local game-store.
The only reasons why I like to play games on emulators is because I'm able to play many of my favourite games on-the-go (emu's for PSP), I can play games I don't own and can't get anymore, play games that weren't released in my country (USA, JPN or country-specific games) and\or because I'm too lazy to hook up the original console! =P

Offcourse there are people who are going to use emulators to play games 'without' buying the original games or they crack their console so that they can load illegal stuff onto them. To be honest I'm no fan of it and it harms consumers as well as legitemate developers. Thatswhy I buy my games at the local game store. Playing on the original console is more fun, playing on a emulator is mostly for nerdgasmic reasons. (yeah, I totally made up that word) =3

As far as the 'legal-issue' considering emulators is involved: Most emulators use original coding in order to play console-specific games on a PC or other devices, so the program 'itself' is technically legal.
The way you 'use' the program however is your own responsibility, so if you're going to use a emulator to play copyrighted games, then you as a 'user' are in the wrong.
For example the PCSX2 website 'presses' onto people that they should get a BIOS rom, by loading it from their 'own' 'original' console and that they only use PS2 games they 'legally' own.

Thesame thing goes for a PC! You can use the PC in any way you like, but if you're going to use it to download something illegal, then you're the one in the wrong, not the person who developed the PC, Internet explorer or any other component.
So it makes perfect sense in hindsight.

The downloading of games is in 'all-cases' 100% illegal.
There are a few exceptions however:
1st: If it's a game you 'legally' own but it got broken down and you're using the ROM\ISO as some sort of backup.
2nd: If the game isn't retrievable in normal stores or in a normal fashion. (like old Arcade games) HOWEVER: Games that are being featured in the 'Virtual-console' store on the Wii have had their licenses renewed and are 'available' for the public, thus downloading any of 'those' titles can (probably) get you into trouble.

Atleast, that's as far as I know the law! ;-)
Back to top Go down
Mynop

Mynop

PostSubject: Re: Any Emulator freaks out there? =3   Any Emulator freaks out there? =3 EmptyTue May 04, 2010 7:25 pm

These are the ones I usually use:

-Mame 32 (Arcade [such as] SNK, NeoGeo, etc...)

-ePSXe (PSX)

-NDS2xGL2 (NDS emulator)

-DosBox (It is emulator afterall. Very Happy)

-fceu (NES)

-ZSnes (SNES)

-Gens+ (Sega Megadrive & Sega CD)

-Fusion (SMD)

-Basilisk II (Old Macintosh emulator, though I haven't got it working properly Sad )
Back to top Go down
LittleCharmander

LittleCharmander

PostSubject: Re: Any Emulator freaks out there? =3   Any Emulator freaks out there? =3 EmptyWed May 05, 2010 9:32 am

BillyTheCat128 wrote:
LittleCharmander wrote:

Don't worry LittleCharmander! =3
Even though I cracked both my PSP and Wii, I still legally buy my games in the local game-store.
The only reasons why I like to play games on emulators is because I'm able to play many of my favourite games on-the-go (emu's for PSP), I can play games I don't own and can't get anymore, play games that weren't released in my country (USA, JPN or country-specific games) and\or because I'm too lazy to hook up the original console! =P

Offcourse there are people who are going to use emulators to play games 'without' buying the original games or they crack their console so that they can load illegal stuff onto them. To be honest I'm no fan of it and it harms consumers as well as legitemate developers. Thatswhy I buy my games at the local game store. Playing on the original console is more fun, playing on a emulator is mostly for nerdgasmic reasons. (yeah, I totally made up that word) =3

As far as the 'legal-issue' considering emulators is involved: Most emulators use original coding in order to play console-specific games on a PC or other devices, so the program 'itself' is technically legal.
The way you 'use' the program however is your own responsibility, so if you're going to use a emulator to play copyrighted games, then you as a 'user' are in the wrong.
For example the PCSX2 website 'presses' onto people that they should get a BIOS rom, by loading it from their 'own' 'original' console and that they only use PS2 games they 'legally' own.

Thesame thing goes for a PC! You can use the PC in any way you like, but if you're going to use it to download something illegal, then you're the one in the wrong, not the person who developed the PC, Internet explorer or any other component.
So it makes perfect sense in hindsight.

The downloading of games is in 'all-cases' 100% illegal.
There are a few exceptions however:
1st: If it's a game you 'legally' own but it got broken down and you're using the ROM\ISO as some sort of backup.
2nd: If the game isn't retrievable in normal stores or in a normal fashion. (like old Arcade games) HOWEVER: Games that are being featured in the 'Virtual-console' store on the Wii have had their licenses renewed and are 'available' for the public, thus downloading any of 'those' titles can (probably) get you into trouble.

Atleast, that's as far as I know the law! ;-)

And all the reasons you listed for using the emulators is fine in my opinion. It's when people are stealing games they didn't pay for that they can actually get through legal means (such as through the Virtual Console, in which case, like you said, the copyright licenses have been renewed) that I have a problem.

Someone got fined $100 million by Nintendo for illegally distributing copies of New Super Mario Bros. and costing the company tons of revenue. And I feel that is a just punishment for what the person was doing. Just think about how much less money Nintendo has to produce new products when much of their revenue is taken from them.

Follow the law people! X3 It typically benefits everyone in the long run! Razz

Hehe anyways, I'll hush up now. ^^;
Back to top Go down
ceonn

PostSubject: Re: Any Emulator freaks out there? =3   Any Emulator freaks out there? =3 EmptyThu May 06, 2010 5:47 am

Lols. I have an emulator for the gba, which I only use to test fire emblem hacks and suck. but i do use emulators on psp cause I say playing games on he computer meant for handhelds doesn't feel right. As for whether or not something is legal as emulation standards, that has been brought up for years.whatever the reason, people are gonna continue dling games illegally. Telling them to stop does nothing, cause they really don't care >.> Which is why I'm completely sick of that argument at this point in time.

As for what billythecat said, hes right. you can use a game however you want once you pay for it. I doubt companies care what console their game is played on, they just want money for it. What you said reminded me of Swap magic, which is a tool for the ps2 that allows you to hack a game as if it was an action replay/codebreaker, play backups, and make your console region free. For years now, arguments about whether it's legal or not have popped up, but I believe it's not illegal unless you pop in the illegally obtained backup yourself. >.>
Back to top Go down
Mackilla

Mackilla

PostSubject: Re: Any Emulator freaks out there? =3   Any Emulator freaks out there? =3 EmptyThu May 06, 2010 12:24 pm

Moar copyright laws!!! Actually one more.

Can anyone answer what some parts of the copyright law claims? Something along the lines that YOU CAN'T CHANGE IT.
One guy on Youtube was lucky. He did a playthrough of Mother 1 (never translated) and got away with it. He couldn't use the emulator because it would translate the game.

"Why the hell would he get in trouble for translating it for himself?"

MMMYES. That is a question. But like I said, you cannot change the game due to copyright. Even if your not going to distribute.
The only way your allowed to do this is when you have a license and a billion other things.

Wait did we talk about that?
Back to top Go down
http://www.archivumsecretum.org/macksgamearcana/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Emulator freaks out there? =3   Any Emulator freaks out there? =3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Any Emulator freaks out there? =3
Page 1 of 1