Shin Gaming Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the open-minded gamers, who wish share their love for gaming. For gamers, who prefer fun over hate and prejudice. For those who like to discuss rather than argue. This is the new generation of gaming! Shin Gaming!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Legend of Kay

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BillyTheCat128

BillyTheCat128

Legend of Kay Empty
PostSubject: Legend of Kay   Legend of Kay EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 2:16 am

Just: "Legend of Kay" =3

Legend of Kay Legend of Kay

Did you ever play a really simple action\adventure game? One sóóóó simple, yet sóóóóó addicting and fun that it makes you wishing for more?
Well, that was my experience with Legend of Kay for the PS2! ^_^

Now I don't really know how to describe this game, all I can say is: It is a fun little game. ^_^

Storyline: 6/10 simple but well-executed.
As with any 'simple' game, comes a simple storyline.
Basicly what happened is that Rats and Gorillas invaded the hometown of our protagonist Kay, who is a kid from the Cat tribe.
They 'live in peace' together however and want to build up a none-war society, thus everybody needs to give away their weapons and stuff like that, but Kay finds this rather fishy.
He then finds out that the leader of the Rat tribe (who's name I forgot) has an evil plan up its sleeve to take over all the tribes in the world (your basic world domination\powerhungry evil shemer storyline! =P)
Kay however escapes his own town and goes on a mission to save the world everyone. Very Happy

Some parts of the storyline are told as if you're reading a comicbook, while all the other cinematics are in-game.
To be fair: The in-game cinematics are effective, but simple. So don't expect Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts-like cutscenes. X3

Gameplay: 7/10 simple but effective
The fighting System looks 'complicated' at first, but it's really easy once you know what to do. The rest is button-bashing! XD
You can hit enemies with your sword and perform combos like in almost any other fighting game.
You can get behind enemies, throw them away and\or do super-combos like crouch-jumping and pressing 'square' for a special ground-pound attack.
You can also use 'magic' by holding down the 'square' button, so you can unleash a powerfull electric surge.

Legend of Kay S22674_ps2_13

The game adds a nice little touch by making it possible for you to glide towards targets after making a kill.
You will see arrows pointing into the direction of enemies, all you have to do then is hold the left thumbstick in the direction of the enemy you want to glide to and press 'triangle', in this way you can take out hordes of enemies.
This trick can also be used on Zhongs (floating heads), breaking and following their path will get you to locations you wouldn't normally be able to reach for example. (Some of them require you to have a special weapon equipped) You also have a wall-jump to jump between walls so you can get higher up.

The sword isn't the only weapon in the Game, you will also aquire 'claws' at one point with which you are able to cut reed while being in the water and which makes it easier for you to take out unarmoured enemies. The Hammer can break armours as well as fragile floors to open up passageways and so on...
The shop is also great! Not only does it sell magic and healthbars but it also sells armours, Demon potions to see hidden demon portals, bombs to blow up stuff, flash grenades to blind your enemies, Sword upgrades (there are upgrades for all other weapons as well), hornets to attack your enemies when you're in danger (or just are too lazy to fight at that moment), health rechargers, magic rechargers and finally a Berserk potion which make you really strong for a short time only.

Legend of Kay S22674_PS2_43

The game is also filled with lots of puzzles, like Zhongs that appear and dissappear within a certain time-limit, boxes that you need to shove in a certain pattern so that you can use them to stand on when you flood a room with water and lots more.

The only negative parts about the game I can think of is the limited amounth of basic items you can carry, the bar you see on your lower-right with your health and magic, has a special slot that displays your items. Once it gets full it doesn't show a scroll-bar when you pick up another item, this makes 'stacking-up-for-adventure' a little impossible as some parts of the game require you to carry bombs or health items which in turn makes your other items 'useless' untill you need them offcourse.
So some of the time you find yourself using health potions or berserk potions so you can buy or pick-up another item that you need at that moment.

Another problem is the part where you have to sail a boat. It is a racegame which you need to finish within the exact time-limit and yes... it is part of the storyline.
The main problems are the controls of the boat. To be fair, they are stiff as in... 'really' stiff.
It is one of those controls that if your boat is sailing too slow, you won't be able to turn very well, while if you're going fast it turns 'a-little-better' (and I really mean 'a-little').
Even if you take your turns big, you will still find yourself 'almost' hitting the edges which exists out of powder barrels floating in the water that will explode at the moment you're in their range, add an 'almost-uncontrollable' boat to that formula and it's a curse-fest to no end.
There is a way to peddle and steer at thesame time, but you need to be very carefull and it has to be very specific, since you need to sail hard enough in order to turn properly, but you musn't turn too much in order to lose speed.
To be honest: If they made the boat steer a little more flexible, maybe just a little bit, it would've been okay.
Now it sorta almost takes the fun out of the game.

For the rest the gameplay is very flexible and fun. ;-)

Overall Score: 7.5/10 A very enjoyable game!
The game has its problems like every other game, but for the rest it's fully playable and highly enjoyable.
From what I described you might be thinking: "Wow! This must be an awesome game", but like I said: "It's simple".
The game is mostly aimed at 'kids' and it's visible in the cutscenes. It's easy to look away from that though, as the game you are given makes for an enjoyable adventure.
It may be simple, but that's also part of the game's charm. ^_^

Legend of Kay Legend-of-kay-20041213100839988_640w

If you see this game sitting on the store shelf or you find it in the budget corner or some 2nd hand store: Definitly try it out, I swear you won't be disappointed! ;-)

Last edited by BillyTheCat128 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://billythecat128.deviantart.com
Mackilla

Mackilla

Legend of Kay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legend of Kay   Legend of Kay EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 2:22 am

I might want to find this game... can you make a link to like a video for ad/gameplay? Or add pics?

And is it anything like Dark Cloud (but simpler, Dark Cloud has TOO much detail)?

Last edited by Mackilla on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)
Back to top Go down
http://www.archivumsecretum.org/macksgamearcana/
BillyTheCat128

BillyTheCat128

Legend of Kay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legend of Kay   Legend of Kay EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 1:45 pm

Mackilla wrote:
I might want to find this game... can you make a link to like a video for ad/gameplay? Or add pics?

And is it anything like Dark Cloud (but simpler, Dark Cloud has TOO much detail)?

Another review I've read of this game said that the gameplay was similar to Dark Cloud, so I guess it is yeah! ^_^
I've also updated my post with pics! ;-)
Back to top Go down
Sparky the chu
Admin
Sparky the chu

Legend of Kay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legend of Kay   Legend of Kay EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 5:31 pm

wow, great work billy! I'll defenitely check this game out! ^^ oh and I really appreciated how you considered a game you rated 7 as a fun game and a game to look for ^^ most people nowadays see a 7 for a game and treat it like it's the worst rate ever X3

good job! >:3
Back to top Go down
https://shingaming.forumotion.com
Mackilla

Mackilla

Legend of Kay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legend of Kay   Legend of Kay EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 9:13 pm

Now that you added pictures, I'll say this:

OMG THIS GAME IS AWESOME! MUST HAVE!!!!

But If it's complex like Dark Cloud, it might not be good.... Oh wait you said simple! LOL
Is this the reason why your sona's a cat???? Then we're looking at the Legend of Billy.
Back to top Go down
BillyTheCat128

BillyTheCat128

Legend of Kay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legend of Kay   Legend of Kay EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 10:38 pm

Sparky the chu wrote:
wow, great work billy! I'll defenitely check this game out! ^^ oh and I really appreciated how you considered a game you rated 7 as a fun game and a game to look for ^^ most people nowadays see a 7 for a game and treat it like it's the worst rate ever X3

good job! >:3

Meh, people musn't bitch so much in my opinion! =3
A 7 to me means: "Fun-game", which means: "You get exactly as it says on the cover".
This game was developed by Jowood, a company known for creating 'fun-little-games' and this game is just that: It's not Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry, instead it's a simple and entertaining game in which the creators inserted a lot of their own fantasy! ^_^
So technically they made a game you'd expected it to be and it's really fun to play.
So a 7 is well-placed! ;-)

No game can really earn a 10, since there will always be aspects (may they be gameplay mechanics or aspects on a personal (opinion-based) level) they will always have 'some flaws'.
No story can be really 'perfect' for example, since it's mostly based on the opinion\interpretation of the person who reviews it.
This review is thesame, but I tried to be as 'objective' as I can. Saying what's good about a game and what its flaws are gameplay-wise.
I don't think Graphics are important in the sense of detailed, realistic or cartoony.
I will make a remark about the Graphics if the game would be portrayed with inversed and putrid colours which are a pain to look at for more than 10 minutes for example.
Back to top Go down
Mackilla

Mackilla

Legend of Kay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legend of Kay   Legend of Kay EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 10:47 pm

Judging by what you said about Box moving puzzles, this might be like LoZ: Wind Waker, Right?
Back to top Go down
BillyTheCat128

BillyTheCat128

Legend of Kay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legend of Kay   Legend of Kay EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Mackilla wrote:
Judging by what you said about Box moving puzzles, this might be like LoZ: Wind Waker, Right?

Somewhat, yes! Wink
Back to top Go down
Mackilla

Mackilla

Legend of Kay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legend of Kay   Legend of Kay EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 1:07 am

That's it I want this game. NOW.
Back to top Go down
ndoto

ndoto

Legend of Kay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legend of Kay   Legend of Kay EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 10:32 pm

WHEE I haven't been around in a while due to lots of RL stuff, but... I saw someone mention on Twitter that they're coming out with a Legend of Kay for the DS? Dunno if it's a port or a sequel, but has anyone heard or seen anything confirming that?
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/ndoto
BillyTheCat128

BillyTheCat128

Legend of Kay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legend of Kay   Legend of Kay EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 2:17 am

ndoto wrote:
WHEE I haven't been around in a while due to lots of RL stuff, but... I saw someone mention on Twitter that they're coming out with a Legend of Kay for the DS? Dunno if it's a port or a sequel, but has anyone heard or seen anything confirming that?

Confirmed! There 'was' going to be a Legend of Kay for the Nintendo DS, but as far as I know the project is on cold ice or even cancelled.
(it was announced a few years ago, there are no screenshots and no further info on it as of yet, so I can safely say that it's cancelled! ^^)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Legend of Kay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legend of Kay   Legend of Kay Empty

Back to top Go down

Legend of Kay
Page 1 of 1